- Cost for the week--$125 for a full day, $85 for a half day
(Price includes a camp T-shirt)
- Staffed by professional college coaches
- Counselors include Broome Community College current
and former players
- Features the 'Strength Based Coaching' method
- Off-site training available
The Hornet Soccer Camp is entering its eleventh year and has successfully trained hundreds of area players. The camp is sponsored by the SUNY Broome Department of Athletics. Bill Rich, the Camp Director, is entering his 20th season as Head Women's Soccer Coach at SUNY Broome. Camp coaches Bill Rich along with his Technical Director and Associate Women's Soccer Coach Chris Grafton, bring a wealth of knowledge along with the ability to teach the camp. The Lady Hornets' overall record of 278-65-12 has produced numerous All Americans, All Region and All Conference players. They are two-time NJCAA National Champions and four-time NJCAA Finalists.
It is our philosophy that soccer should be fun, and we believe that training is most effective in a stress-free environment. At Camp, our definition of fun is setting a goal that is challenging, and working hard to attain that goal. We focus on achievement and mastery of lessons, while teaching players how to set goals and measure their success in reaching them.
Age Appropriate Instruction
We believe it is imperative to teach players at an age appropriate level. This level is determined by evaluating both the player's chronological age (date of birth) and their developmental age (level of experience). We use both criteria in determining each player's work group placement. Our intent is to keep a player challenged without causing boredom with work that is too easy or frustration with work that is too difficult. A player's placement is monitored daily, and adjusted throughout the week.
Strength Based Coaching
Our coaches and counselors are committed to the fact that each player brings unique and valuable strengths to the group. In addition to working on areas that need improvement, we teach each player what their strengths are, as well as how these strengths are of value to their group.
The Four Pillars of Soccer Training
- TECHNICAL TRAINING of the skills required in all phases of the game.
- TACTICAL TRAINING on how to choose which skills to use at the
appropriate moment of the game.
- PHYSICAL CONDITIONING of the body in order to be able to physically perform the chosen skill, in the last minute of the game as well as the first.
- PSYCHOLOGICAL TRAINING in order to be mentally prepared before a practice or competition, as well as to be able to get the most afterwards from the experience.